Career Certificate (Clock Hour program)
This is a Limited Access program.
The mission of the Cosmetology Career Certificate program is to provide excellent and meaningful education to all cosmetology students.
The Cosmetology Career Certificate program has cosmetology instructors who believe in a team approach that is flexible and understanding of the individual needs which enables each student to reach their full potential and the achievement of success. A theoretical and practical hands-on approach is given to all aspects of cosmetology including, but not limited to, hair design, chemical relaxing, permanent waving, hair coloring, skin care and nail care. This will not only prepare the cosmetology student for the state licensure examination but will also prepare them for successful entry into the workforce
Cosmetology students provide client services as part of the program curriculum. All services are completed by the students under the supervision of an instructor who is also a licensed cosmetologist.
Cosmetology is a limited access program that requires 1,200 contact hours and can be completed in 12 months, approximately three terms. Students have the option of attending the day or evening program. Attendance for this program is state mandated; therefore, before you begin the application process, please ensure that you will be able to attend 100% of the course.
- Day classes (Phase I and Phase II) meet Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. during the Fall, Spring and Summer Terms. No classes held on Saturday.
- Phase III meets Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. during the Fall, Spring and Summer Terms. No classes held on Saturday.
- Evening classes (Phase I and Phase II) meet Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. during the Fall, Spring and Summer terms.
- Phase III meets Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m. No classes held on Saturday.
A minimum grade of C or higher must be achieved in all professional coursework.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, overall employment of cosmetologists is projected to increase 13 percent from 2012 to 2022. The demand for hair coloring, hair straightening, and advanced hair treatments has risen in recent years and is expected to continue over the next decade. Job openings will result from the need to replace workers who have retired or have chosen to leave the industry for various reasons. As a licensed cosmetologist, a host of opportunities are available such as makeup artist, hair stylist, salon owner/manager, color specialist, cosmetician, and manufacturer representative, just to name a few.
After successfully completing the program, students are qualified to take the cosmetology examination given by the Florida State Board of Cosmetology at myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/cosmetology. Licensing and certification for immediate employment in the field are obtained by passing this examination.
If you are considering employment in a state other than Florida, please ensure the program curriculum meets the requirements to sit for licensure or certification testing in your desired state.
Adult Basic Skills are a major criterion in a student’s completion of the program. In order to earn the Career Certificate, students must achieve or surpass the designated exit score(s) on an approved adult basic skills assessment or qualify for a waiver. Visit fscj.edu/assessment-and-certification/available-assessments for program exit scores. College Assessment and Certification locations and information can be found at fscj.edu/assessment. For students who need assistance in order to meet the exit requirement(s), the College offers remediation through tutoring, referral to online resources and/or completion of Academic Skills Building (ASB) coursework in Mathematics and Reasoning through Language Arts.
Admission to this program is limited and is based on academic performance and other criteria. If you have trouble accessing documents and need to request an alternate format, please contact Cosmetology department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Packets can be mailed, emailed or dropped off at the North Campus at Building D-1st floor.
To meet the minimum requirements for consideration and acceptance to the Cosmetology program, students must:
- Complete a Florida State College at Jacksonville application.
- Complete a Cosmetology program application.
- Submit one of the following:
- An official (unopened) High School completion transcript (no diplomas); or
- An official copy of GED® test scores (a copy will be made and the original returned to the applicant). Note: Florida State College at Jacksonville transcripts can be unofficial. Transcripts from outside colleges must be official (unopened).
GED® and GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education (ACE). They may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of ACE or GED Testing Service® at ged.com. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC® under license from the American Council on Education.
Need More Information? Contact:
(904) 766-6702 or email@example.com
More Information Online