Oct 23, 2021
The purpose of the Adult ESOL College and Career Readiness program is to prepare Adult English language learners who have completed the Adult ESOL program and coursework to enter and succeed in college-level courses of study by providing English language skills in the following areas:
- Read and comprehend complex text
- Acquire academic vocabulary
- Speak and listen with understanding
- Convey information in writing
- Apply conventions of standard English grammar and usage
- Digital literacy (technology)
- Career and education planning
- Workforce preparation
The Adult ESOL College and Career Readiness program coursework is designed for students with skills that are above the levels of the Adult ESOL course. The academic rigor of the coursework is above Educational Functioning Level 6 of the National Reporting System. Academic progress is measured by completion of the standards, and one Literacy Completion Point (LCP) is awarded upon completion
Students are required to be tested in reading and listening on an assessment designed for Adult ESOL that is approved by the state prior to enrollment. It is not required, but strongly recommended, that students obtain scores in reading and listening above the exit score for Adult ESOL prior to enrollment. Students are cautioned to make a decision to enroll with lower than recommended scores.
Need More Information? Contact:
Downtown Campus ESOL Office
101 West State Street, Building A, Room 2101
Jacksonville, FL 32202
More Information Online
Program Hours: 300 (Maximum Recommended Hours: 450)
Students may select one or more of the following special topics course options to enhance their educational pathways towards program completion. Please consult with your advisor to determine the path that best suits your academic goals.
Total Contact Hours: 300 (Maximum Recommended Hours: 450)
In order to be awarded a certificate of completion, students must have met the following requirements.
- Fulfill all obligations, financial or otherwise, to the College before graduating.
- Earn a CASAS score that meets or exceeds the program’s exit requirement.
- For ESOL series ELL 0115 - ELL 0615, a student must earn a CASAS score in his/her designated student category of Listening and Reading that places him/her out of Advanced level. This student will receive a certificate for ESOL completion.
- For College and Career Readiness, a student must pass the CCR departmental exam. If successful, they will receive an instructor recommendation to take the Accuplacer CPTL which places the student in English for Academic Purposes. This student will receive a certificate of completion for College and Career Readiness.
Note: Students are cautioned to pay particular attention to the following statements.
- A student’s graduation date will be the date of the end of the College term in which the student has fulfilled all academic requirements.
- Students who enter under the (2021/2022) catalog will be assigned to the degree or certificate requirements in effect during the 2021/2022 academic year. The student’s assigned catalog year will remain in effect as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment. Changes to requirements as mandated by law or by rule of the District Board of Trustees and FLDOE may supersede this provision.
- Many courses in this catalog have prerequisite requirements listed in the course descriptions. Students are advised to be guided by these requirements.