Career Certificate (Clock Hour program)
This is a Limited Access program.
The mission of the Law Enforcement Officer career certificate program is to provide education and training to prepare students to take and pass the Florida State Officer Certification Examination and to perform the duties of an entry-level police officer. Information about the Florida State Officer Examination is available at fdle.state.fl.us/CJSTC/Exam/Exam-Home.aspx.
This program provides training to satisfactorily perform the basic duties and responsibilities of an entry-level police officer. Applicants must successfully complete the selection process described below prior to being admitted into the program. Once admitted, students can expect to be part of an academically and physically rigorous program. Students must pass 17 written exams with a minimum score of 80%, demonstrate 100% proficiency in five high liability areas (vehicle operations, first aid, defensive tactics, firearms, and DUI traffic stops), and participate fully in instructor-led physical training.
The Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Center is a certified training center through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement at (FDOE) at fdle.state.fl.us. The program is based on the mandated curriculum established by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission at fdle.state.fl.us/CJSTC/Commission/CJSTC-Home.aspx. For more information about the Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Center, visit fscj.edu/campuses/north-campus/northeast-florida-criminal-justice-center.
Students must pass an entrance interview prior to acceptance into the program. Students must meet the following program entry requirements:
- Be at least 19 years old.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Have graduated from a high school or obtained a high school equivalency certificate.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be of good moral character.
- Not have been convicted of a felony regardless of whether or not adjudication was withheld.
- Not have been convicted of domestic violence.
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving perjury or making a false statement as defined by law, regardless of whether or not adjudication was withheld.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- Not have falsified their program application or personal history.
Completion of this program is intended to lead to employment in certain safety sensitive positions that are also physically demanding. To address student safety as well as a student’s ability to be employed within the current employment environment, all students, after taking and passing the Law Enforcement Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT), are required to submit the following to the Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Center:
- Drug screen
- Criminal background check
- Physical exam
- Driver history check
- Proof of health insurance
Learn more about the CJBAT at fdle.state.fl.us/CJSTC/Officer-Requirements/Basic-Abilities-Test.aspx.
Need More Information? Contact: