Certificate of Professional Preparation
This is a Selective Access Program.
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) program helps baccalaureate degree holders (in fields outside of education) earn their Florida Professional Certification to teach in a K-12 classroom. The program provides the necessary training for participants to become highly effective certified teachers.
The EPI program is designed for individuals who want to teach, but hold a bachelor's degree in an area other than education. This alternative certification program provides the knowledge and tools necessary for earning a Florida Professional Educator's Certificate. For more information about the Florida Professional Educator's Certificate, visit fldoe.org/teaching/certification/.
According to the Florida Department of Education, the state will need to fill 17,000 to 23,500 classroom teacher positions per year between now and 2027. However, the number of graduates exiting traditional college of education programs across the state of Florida is only around 10,000 per year.
In an attempt to address the need for teachers within the state of Florida, the EPI program works with local school districts to offer the Educator Preparation Institute.
Adults looking for a career change, including displaced workers and U.S. veterans entering the work force, are encouraged to explore this exciting opportunity.
A minimum grade of C or better must be achieved in all professional coursework.
Admission to the program is selective and based upon academic performance and other criteria. It is recommended that students meet with the program coordinator prior to applying for program acceptance. To meet the minimum requirement for consideration and acceptance to the program, students must:
- Possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Obtain a Statement of Status Eligibility for certification from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE). For more information, visit fldoe.org/teaching/certification/steps-to-certification/step-1-completing-your-initial-applica.stml.
- Receive a passing score on the Subject Area Exam.
- Submit to fingerprinting for background check.
- Complete an interview process.
- Submit an electronic application at apply.fscj.edu.
Need More Information? Contact:
Program Coordinator, EPI, Downtown Campus, email@example.com
More Information Online