Mar 30, 2020
This Chemical Laboratory Specialist certificate provides you with exposure to the principles of biological sciences, chemistry, and mathematics necessary for success in a scientific work environment. If you are looking for a fast paced non-desk career, this may be the area for you! Chemical laboratory technicians work under the direction of a laboratory supervisor and have diverse work environments that range from government laboratories to manufacturing laboratory environments. Many of the courses contained within this certificate are also prerequisites for allied health and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) degree programs.
Need More Information? Contact:
Any campus Advising Center.
Credit Hours: 16
Students may choose one of the following options. Note: All professional coursework count towards the Biomedical Sciences (T300) (B.S.) degree.
Biological Sciences Option
Chemical Laboratory Option
Professional Elective Coursework
Minimum Credit Hours: 21
*Designated courses count towards the Biomedical Sciences (T300) (B.S.) degree.
Total Credit Hours: 37 / Program Length: 15 Months
In order to be awarded a technical certificate, students must have met the following requirements.
- Fulfill all academic requirements for the chosen program of study as outlined in the Florida State College at Jacksonville catalog and curriculum.
- Earn minimum prescribed semester hours for the chosen program of study with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 ("C") on a 4.0 scale on all courses that apply to the chosen program of study.
- Complete a minimum of 25 percent of the total hours required for the program in residence at Florida State College at Jacksonville. Credit by examination and credit for prior learning do not count toward this residency requirement.
- Fulfill all obligations, financial or otherwise, to the College before graduating.
Note: Students are cautioned to pay particular attention to the following statements.
- A student's graduation date will be the date of the end of the College term in which the student has fulfilled all academic requirements (The removal of an incomplete grade does not affect students' graduation dates since the grade change is effective at the end of the term in which the incomplete grade was assigned rather than the term in which the incomplete work was made up).
- Students who enter under the (2019/2020) catalog will be assigned to the degree or certificate requirements in effect during the 2019/2020 academic year. The student's assigned catalog year will remain in effect as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment. Changes to requirements as mandated by law or by rule of the District Board of Trustees may supersede this provision.
- Many courses in this catalog have prerequisite requirements and/or corequisite courses listed in the course descriptions. Students are advised to be guided by these requirements.
- Students who place into developmental education courses are required to complete designated developmental education courses with a grade of "C" or better regardless of program of study.
Credits within this certificate may apply towards the Biomedical Sciences (T300) (B.S.) degree. Credits from this certificate can also be applied toward the Chemical Technology A.S. degree at Brevard Community College. Students may pursue one or more certificates to develop or upgrade their skills in a particular field, or pursue the A.S. degree and earn technical certificates while completing the requirements for the degree. Contact an advisor to determine the career education path that is best for you.