Workforce Certificate (PSAV/Clock Hour program)
The purpose of this individualized job preparatory program is to provide specialized career education for students with significant cognitive/learning disabilities who, in addition to instructional accommodations, require modifications to the career and technical education (CTE) program in order to meet individual interests, abilities, and learning needs. The program provides each student with an individualized plan of study (IPS) that consists of standards and benchmarks selected from one or more CTE programs. Students participate in competency-based curriculum with integrated academic, technical, and problem-solving skills.
The goal for each student is to obtain competitive employment in a chosen occupation.
This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers. It provides technical skill proficiency, and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning, and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, and occupation-specific skills.
On-the-job training (OJT) is appropriate but not required for this program. Whenever offered, the rules, guidelines, and requirements specified in the OJT framework apply.
Minimum requirements for acceptance and admission to this program are as follows:
- Complete and submit Florida State College at Jacksonville application.
- Complete and submit application (Specialized Career Education, Basic).
- Provide self-report disability status to Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD) or equivalent office (provide two forms of documentation of disability, including justification of accommodations).
- Complete official interview with the Project Coordinator for program to determine eligibility and program acceptance.
The application deadline is at the end of the prior academic term.
- Fall start: Summer deadline
- Spring start: Fall deadline
- Summer start: Spring deadline
Need More Information? Contact:
Denise J. Giarrusso, Associate Director of Student Success, Urban Resource Center, Room 207, (904) 361-6216 or email@example.com
Ethel Richardson-Still, Job Placement Specialist, Downtown Campus, Room A1114, (904) 632-5061 or Still.Richardson@fscj.edu
More Information Online
FLDOE CTE Specialized Career Education, Basic
Courses include labs and are repeatable.
Total Contact Hours: 450
In order to be awarded a workforce certificate, students must have met the following requirements.
- Fulfill all academic requirements for the chosen program of study as outlined in the Florida State College at Jacksonville catalog and curriculum.
- Earn the required number of clock hours for the chosen program of study with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 ("C") on a 4.0 scale on all courses that apply to the chosen program of study.
- Complete a minimum of 25 percent of the total clock hours required for a certificate's program requirements as a student at Florida State College at Jacksonville.
- Fulfill all obligations, financial or otherwise, to the College before graduating.
- Earn a TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) score that meets or exceeds the program's exit requirement, if applicable.
Note: Students are cautioned to pay particular attention to the following statements.
- A student's graduation date will be the date of the end of the College term in which the student has fulfilled all academic requirements. (The removal of an incomplete grade does not affect students' graduation dates, since the grade change is effective at the end of the term in which the incomplete grade was assigned rather than the term in which the incomplete work was made up.)
- Students who enter under the (2018/2019) catalog will be assigned to the degree or certificate requirements in effect during the 2018/2019 academic year. The student's assigned catalog year will remain in effect as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment. Changes to requirements as mandated by law or by rule of the District Board of Trustees may supersede this provision.
- Many courses in this catalog have pre-requisite requirements and/or co-requisite courses listed in the course descriptions. Students are advised to be guided by these requirements.