May 19, 2022
This is a limited access program.
This technical certificate is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills to pass the FAA’s Air Traffic Academy in Oklahoma City. Prospective students should note that, since the FAA’s criteria are not public, this certificate may or may not increase the odds of getting hired. Also, although Florida State College at Jacksonville has no restrictions on age or physical conditions of students, those desiring to pursue a career with the FAA should take note of the requirements listed below.
Air Traffic Controller Applicants:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must pass an Air Traffic Selection and Training (AT-SAT) Test administered by the FAA.
- Must start at the FAA Academy no later than your 31st birthday.
- Must meet the medical requirements of FAR 65 and 67.
- Must pass a security screening background check.
- Must speak English clearly enough to be understood over communications equipment.
The ATC program requires extensive reading and interpretation of technical information. A minimum grade of “C” or better must be achieve in all professional core courses.
Students should be aware that completing the program requirements does not guarantee employment with the FAA.
This program does not provide a State of Florida technical certificate but does provide a Florida State College at Jacksonville certificate upon completion.
Need more information? Contact: (904) 317-3800
Sam Fischer, Cecil Center, (904) 317-3844 or email@example.com
Program Advisor, (904) 779-4200
More Information online
Federal Aviation Administration website
Credit Hours: 18
A minimum grade of “C” or better is required in all Professional Core courses.
Total Credit Hours: 18/ Program Length: 8Months
In order to be awarded a technical certificate, students must have met the following requirements.
- Students must fulfill all academic requirements for the chosen program of study as outlined in the Florida State College at Jacksonville catalog and curriculum.
- Earn minimum prescribed semester hours for the chosen program of study with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (“C”) on a 4.0 scale on all courses that apply to the chosen program of study.
- Complete a minimum of 25 percent of the total hours required for the program in residence at Florida State College at Jacksonville. Credit by examination and credit by portfolio development do not count toward this residency requirement.
- Students must have fulfilled all obligations, financial or otherwise, to the College before they may graduate.
Note: Students are cautioned to pay particular attention to the following statements.
- A student’s graduation date will be the date of the end of the College term in which the student has fulfilled all academic requirements. (The removal of an incomplete grade does not affect students’ graduation dates, since the grade change is effective at the end of the term in which the incomplete grade was assigned rather than the term in which the incomplete work was made up.)
- Students who enter under the (2015/2016) catalog will be assigned to the degree or certificate requirements in effect during the 2015/2016 academic year. The student’s assigned catalog year will remain in effect as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment. Changes to requirements as mandated by law or by rule of the District Board of Trustees may supersede this provision.
- Many courses in this catalog have prerequisite requirements and/or co-requisite courses listed in the course descriptions. Students are advised to be guided by these requirements.
- Students who place into developmental education courses are required to complete designated developmental education courses with a grade of “C” or better regardless of program of study.
This certificate articulates directly into the Aviation Operations (2354) (A.S.) degree. Students may pursue one or more certificates to develop or upgrade their skills in a particular field, or pursue the A.S. degree and earn technical certificates while completing the requirements for the degree. Contact an advisor or counselor to determine the career education path that is best for you.